Author Topic: Brain Dead Drawing only?  (Read 21047 times)

CADaver

Re: Brain Dead Drawing only?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »
Another point, and this happens to us often enough.  We get a template from a client to work with, and they have reset standard to some oddball font.  Well our font alt looks ok as we work and have NO IDEA its wrong. So we send the drawings, next thing we have a client on the phone yelling about how the text is all wrong. 
Then you used style Standard for something??  Why?

BTW, we will NOT use a font that does not come with AutoCAD, neither will our contractors.

CADaver

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
When wouldn't it be better to create unique Text Styles names?
Better for what??  We routinely re-font style Standard, and have done so without issue for a couple of decades.  If it's going to be there, why not use it? And our text looks "right" even if a contractor inadvertently used style Standard.

Don't you guys do everything in house?
oh I wish.  We do dictate standards however, and sometimes a contractor will use an old block with attributes, that uses style Standard.  That's not a problem for us because we routinely change the font of Standard to Romans.

Shinyhead

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
Because their textstyle in the dimstyle is set to standard, and the textstyle "standard" is sometimes set to some oddball textfont.    We don't go changing a clients dimstyle, it tends to make them unhappy.

CADaver

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2007, 04:48:58 PM »

CADaver

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »
You ideas are valid with one teensy problem.  We use LT, and that makes it a wee bit tougher. 
LT doesn't use profiles??  ... and kills the ability to use client directories??  sheesh, tough program.

CADaver

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2007, 04:51:18 PM »
Because their textstyle in the dimstyle is set to standard, and the textstyle "standard" is sometimes set to some oddball textfont.    We don't go changing a clients dimstyle, it tends to make them unhappy.
??? then it shouldn't be a problem sending it back to them.  I'm missing something here.

Shinyhead

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2007, 04:53:03 PM »
We gets whats we pay for.  And since I don't sign the checks thats what I have to work with.

We do pretty good considering though, we manage to maintain customized routines for about 12 different clients and all it takes is changing workspaces.  If I had full for all my drafters I wouldn't know what to do with all my free time!  Of course I would probably forget everything I know about diesel, wouldn't that be heartbreaking.

Shinyhead

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2007, 04:56:05 PM »
??? then it shouldn't be a problem sending it back to them.  I'm missing something here.

Are you having fun?  :-D

Not all clients take the dwg files, some only want dwfs back.  No it doesn't make sense, but we have a number like that.  Its not so bad when they send you samples, but we get some that never send us an example of the drawings, so it is some detective work to figure out what the heck they are doing.  I imagine you have a cad standard/samples and such you give to subs, but often we don't have that luxury.  Kinda like target shooting in a room with the lights off.

Kate M

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2007, 04:57:59 PM »
You ideas are valid with one teensy problem.  We use LT, and that makes it a wee bit tougher. 
LT doesn't use profiles??  ... and kills the ability to use client directories??  sheesh, tough program.
Nope, no profiles. Pieter showed me how to edit the registry to set the Support Files, which made installs much easier, but you only get one "unnamed" profile to work with.

It's why you typically find small shops using LT -- too inefficient for the big guys.

Shinyhead

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »
Nope, no profiles. Pieter showed me how to edit the registry to set the Support Files, which made installs much easier, but you only get one "unnamed" profile to work with.

It's why you typically find small shops using LT -- too inefficient for the big guys.

HEY, we may be small, but inefficient?!?   :x

CADaver

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »

Are you having fun?  :-D
Always do.

Not all clients take the dwg files, some only want dwfs back.  No it doesn't make sense, but we have a number like that.  Its not so bad when they send you samples, but we get some that never send us an example of the drawings, so it is some detective work to figure out what the heck they are doing.  I imagine you have a cad standard/samples and such you give to subs, but often we don't have that luxury.  Kinda like target shooting in a room with the lights off.
okay, now see, you've confused me again.  If you're NOT sending the CAD files it makes NO difference at all what font you use for style Standard, so what's the beef??

CADaver

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »

Not you, but LT.  And I must agree.

Kate M

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2007, 05:06:01 PM »

Don't get all worked up, we use LT too. :) And yes, the installation & maintenance process is much less efficient for LT than for full. Once you're up and running, it's fine.

Shinyhead

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2007, 05:07:35 PM »
 :-D

OK, let me give an example.
I have one client who sent us a template to work from.  It had the text issue and the ctb issue we were talking about.  The ctb we can live with, the drawings just plot a bit odd because we don't have his lineweights.  BUT, as we had no sample drawings, just the lone template, and his standard text style.. well wasn't, we did not know it was not working correctly.  The font he actually used was wider then our fontalt.   So all our text in revision clouds and such bled over if you had the right text font.  They never mention that the text is not right when checking the drawings we sent.

One or two jobs go by with them getting dwf files and thats fine.  Next job comes up and they are making the countertops in house so they want cad files instead.  Well when they plot the drawings, since they HAVE the font, it comes out all messed up. 

Is it a strange set of circumstances, yes very. Is it the only time things like that have happened, nope, not at all. 

Shinyhead

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »

Don't get all worked up, we use LT too. :) And yes, the installation & maintenance process is much less efficient for LT than for full. Once you're up and running, it's fine.

Its all good, I don't use smileys when I am really mad!
As for installing and such, oh yeah.  I have installing customization down to about 3 minutes though now.