Author Topic: Mouse most suited for drafting  (Read 8233 times)

Dr. After

Mouse most suited for drafting
« on: October 11, 2005, 11:31:24 AM »
I know this a matter of opinion, but this place seems to have lots of those, so what do you guys like in a mouse for drafting and why?  I need a new one and up until now I have always had a basic corded mouse with a roller ball.  Mostly Logitech and I have been happy with their products.  But I do hate the hassle of dirty balls (shaving them helps, but back to mice...) however the cord never bothered me.  Cords keep the mouse attached to my computer so they don't run off.  I do like extra buttons and the wheel that is a third button so this is the one I am probably going to pick up today, but I still wanted to hear if and why folks use track balls, cordless, laser, etc...

Dinosaur

Re: Mouse most suited for drafting
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:35:43 AM »
Someone here has one of those and is quite happy with it.  I use a Logitech TrackMan Wheel trackball personally because of carpal tunnel problems a few years back.  They take a few days to get used to but are much easier on the wrist than a traditional mouse.

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:51:35 AM »
I have at work
 and in my laptop bag
I also have a older logitech trackball on my home desktop but I can't find a link to it.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »
I used a trackball for awhile.  Mostly when I was surveying because it was easier to use in the truck.  My thumb didn't like using it all day though.  Now I pretty much just use whatever ends up on my desk.

Dr. After

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:04:07 PM »
So at least some of you do use track balls, huh?  Interesting...  I don't mind learning new techniques and such, but I am leery of getting a track ball due to I don't think I will like it, but who knows.

Do you think track balls are more accurate or quicker?

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 12:06:16 PM »
I think they are both more accurate and quicker - after educating your thumb on it for a week that is.

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 12:07:21 PM »
I think they are both more accurate and quicker - after educating your thumb on it for a week that is.

Agreed!

Big Boi

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 12:37:59 PM »
Do you think track balls are more accurate or quicker?
I use to have one at my old company, and they are pretty accurate, it's just hard to teach an old dog new tricks.  :-)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:46:19 PM »
I liked it fairly well over all.  The joint pain was the biggest detractor for me although it leaves you keeping the need to periodically scrub your ball and socket.

t-bear

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 12:47:56 PM »
I have a touch of arthritis in my hands....the thumb-style track ball just KILLED my hand! :x  Had it for a week and put it in the drawer....it's still there.  I use a standard 2 button Intella-mouse for the right and my trusty N52 with the left.  For an old fart, I'm lightning fast! :roll:

Dr. After

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 02:36:34 PM »
Whelp...  I gots the mouse I listed above.  I got the red one because we all know red cars go faster, so a red mouse will probably do the same, right?

I think I will try a track ball for my laptop soon, though.

Thanks for the input guys!

Big Boi

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 02:44:14 PM »
Whelp...  I gots the mouse I listed above.  I got the red one because we all know red cars go faster, so a red mouse will probably do the same, right?
They go faster but they also pay a higher insurance premium...........he, he :-D

hyposmurf

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 04:33:16 PM »
Not trying to hijack this thread,but do most of you buy your own mice for work?Have you bought others peices of equipment for use at work?Sometimes its better to just outlay a small amount of your own cash to increase your output level and comfort level at work,rather than sitting there complaining for months that something doesnt work or is up to spec.

Dr. After

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 04:40:01 PM »
hijack accepted...

I found a deal for a $40 highback leather chair being that mine was giving me awful pain in the back.  I showed it to the owner and he said no.

.|..  :x  ..|. 

So I bought it myself and I will be taking it with me when I leave.

glee

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 07:13:22 PM »
I tried a trackball for awhile.  I forget what brand.  Maybe logitech.  had a red ball. 
Didn't go faster.  My thumb didn't like the rolling the abll around thing.  Though it's pretty cool when you get fed up and spin the ball fast. 
I use a microsoft intellimouse now.  infra red.  No need to clean the ball.  Still has a cord.  Cheaper than wireless and what's a mouse without a tail.  Has extra buttoms on the side and a rolling wheel.  The red light is cool.  But makes me think I'm riding the brakes. 
Uh, I have those lighted usb cords too.  So when I turn off the lights it looks like it's christmass.  Oh, the lighted ones were on sale and cheaper than regular ones, so no brainer there for me. 
At my last place, I told the bosses that if they didn't buy adjustable keyboard trays, good chairs etc, they'll end up with a bunch of people on disability.  A newbie actually joined the firm worked all of 2 months (received full benefits) and promptly went on disability.  So nice adjustable keyboards from task2 and decent chairs but not leather for everyone. 
Oh, 21" monitors too.  So they did the right thing.  But that was a while ago.