Author Topic: PDF Software  (Read 10469 times)

PDF Software
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:44:50 AM »
What PDF software are you using?  Do you like it?  Pros/Cons?  Is the output accurate/reliable?

I'm currently evaluating Bluebeam.  So far it's pretty good, but I'm not sure if upper-management will go for the price.

It seems to be the only one (that I've seen so far) in which the line merge option REALLY works.  I've tried Acroplot - not sold on that one because the line merging wasn't very good.

I also like the stapler feature of Bluebeam - it allows you to select multiple PDFs and merge them into a single PDF (good for specs) and you can reorder them any way you lik AND it works in other applications as well, not just AutoCAD - a big plus.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: PDF Software
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:15:33 AM »
We've been using Bluebeam for about 3 years now. It has been very good software. The batch creation feature is hands down the biggest time saver.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:17:25 AM »
Good question.  I am curious to see how this pans out.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:26:48 AM »
We use Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0

The results are consistent, reliable, and file sizes have never been a problem.  It prints everything as we expect, including background masks and white hatches.

The driver it makes available in Autocad allows publish to plot to one multi-page pdf, or seperate files, but in either situation, you can just select all the files you want in Windows Explorer, right click and select "Combine in Adobe Acrobat" to put them all in one multi-page file, that you can put in whatever order you want before it creates it, so no worrying about selecting the files in the right order or anything.

It has a "reduce file size" function, which, depending on content I have seen reduce anywhere from (-)5% to about 90%... yes that was negative 5%  :-D  I've only seen it 2-3 times, but it still makes me laugh when "reduce file size" somehow makes it bigger.  Other times though I've seen it go from 5mb to 50kb.  Very nice for when you're emailing the full size sheets for whatever reason.

It can also take a multi-page pdf and extract sheets (all or only those selected in the dialog) so you can go either way with it.

I think the price is what sets people off, but I personally like the peace of mind that my pdf creator is universal for all my programs, has no obvious flaws, and is reliable, stable, and requires no tech support.  This is the only program I've never had to go online searching for answers to questions or problems.  I've never HAD any problems with it from the moment I put the cd in, until now.  I can't say the same for any piece of software I regularly use on this computer... (aside from MS Paint, Notepad, and Solitaire of course ;) )

LE

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
I use AcroPlot Pro - in general it is very good -

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:29:45 AM »
It prints everything as we expect, including background masks and white hatches.

Huh??!?   :?

Psssst.... if you wanted to hatch something white, wouldn't you just leave it unhatched??!

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »
It prints everything as we expect, including background masks and white hatches.

Psssst.... if you wanted to hatch something white, wouldn't you just leave it unhatched??!

Now and then there's a situation where I want to "wipeout" something, but I don't trust wipeouts.  So I use a hatch that's like 254,254,254.  I told someone at another office to try that out when he called me asking how to solve the problem he was having (wipeouts printing as a solid black rectangle) and he said it always printed with grey dots on his pdf's (forget which creator he used) regardless of what number he used for 'close to white - but not white, so it doesnt switch to black'

CaddmannQ

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
...It has a "reduce file size" function, which, depending on content I have seen reduce anywhere from (-)5% to about 90%... yes that was negative 5%  :-D  I've only seen it 2-3 times, but it still makes me laugh when "reduce file size" somehow makes it bigger.....

HehHehHeh...

Reminds me of the time my boss calls me to ask, "How come when I ZIP this file it gets bigger?"

"Ummm...what's the name of the file you zipped?"

"Spec_072106" (or some such thing.)

"What's the WHOLE name."

"That IS the whole name!"

"Look at the suffix."

"The what?"

"Turn on the file types and tell me the whole name."

...minutes pass....

"Errr... Spec_072106.zip"

"Do you get it now?"  :roll:

<Edit: I clarified my tale a tad, as aparently it was a bit confusing. He was trying to zip a zip file.>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:43:21 PM by CaddmannQ »

CaddmannQ

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »

Now and then there's a situation where I want to "wipeout" something, but I don't trust wipeouts.  So I use a hatch that's like 254,254,254.  I told someone at another office to try that out when he called me asking how to solve the problem he was having (wipeouts printing as a solid black rectangle) and he said it always printed with grey dots on his pdf's (forget which creator he used) regardless of what number he used for 'close to white - but not white, so it doesnt switch to black'

It's these kinds of workarounds and glitches that make me hate having to publish PDF's. Unfortunately, the State Architect is demanding PDF's for checking purposes, so we have no choice. For a while it looked like they might just go to DWF's, but no such luck.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »
For our PDF files, we use our batch plot utility that came with our plotter. We plot to our Kip6000 (plt files) and use the PowerPrint software to convert to PDF. They turn out great .. much better than even the Adobe distiller or ghostscript PDF plotter.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »
PDF995 here. The only problem I've had is when plotting rendered views, sometimes things get "cropped". Not sure if its a memory problem or what, but a good free/inexpensive tool nontheless.

daron

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »
I use CutePDF. It's free and prints anything. I like the output a lot. I haven't seen anything bad out of it, but then I don't scrutinize things very well. I believe there is a paid for version, but I don't know what the extras are with that. I'm just happy to be able to produce pdf's at request, which is often.

CaddmannQ

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are all these PDF's you're making made from?

The only time I do a PDF is from AutoCAD, & then I just "plot to PDF".

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 05:46:09 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are all these PDF's you're making made from?

The only time I do a PDF is from AutoCAD, & then I just "plot to PDF".

That's where I'd noticed problems with it printing wipeouts, and I noticed inconsistencies with the lineweights, and the files sizes were HORRENDOUS, when I tried it.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »
HehHehHeh...

Reminds me of the time my boss calls me to ask, "How come when I ZIP this file it gets bigger?"

"Ummm...what's the file name?"

"Spec_072106" (or some such thing.)

"What's the WHOLE name."

"That IS the whole name!"

"Look at the suffix."

"The what?"

"Turn on the file types and tell me the whole name."

...minutes pass....

"Errr... Spec_072106.zip"

"Do you get it now?"  :roll:

:?