Author Topic: won't grab intersection of alignment tic  (Read 2702 times)

Gael

won't grab intersection of alignment tic
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »
Hello all,

I have an issue....

I have a file that was converted from LLD to C3D.  The aligment seems to be working ok but I ran into a hitch.  I wanted to to a quick measure from a tick mark along the alignment.  When I did that I kept getting different readings but not the one the engineer expected.  I was off about +/- 6 hundredths.  After zooming up real close I found that when I did a intersection osnap it was grabbing to either side of my tick mark (even if I hovered over the exact intersection.)  See attached pictures.

Granted if I went to inquary it could get the right spot but only through inquary.

Has anyone seen this and better yet found a solution?

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
Re: won't grab intersection of alignment tic
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
Instead of Intersection, try Apparent Intersection.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Gael

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:10:06 AM »
didn't work....it doesn't recognize an intersection there.

Gael

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »
not to mention there isn't a true intersection where it is recognizing one....this isn't just at one tick....its at all the ticks....

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »
Are the lines at different elevations? That could cause it not to read an intersection.
I drink beer and I know things....

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »
Are the lines at different elevations? That could cause it not to read an intersection.
That's what I was thinking.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Gael

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
This was an alignment created or should I say recreated in C3D.  They are AECC objects, one being an alignment the other being alignment static.  They do not list elevation nor can I change an elevation unless I change the alignment.

sinc

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:33:02 AM »
Can you use the Midpoint OSNAP?

Autodesk really doinked with the OSNAPs at one point (the 2006 or 2007 release, I think), and we get weird behavior ever since.  The Intersection OSNAP will interact with C3D labels in strange ways now, and you can often end up getting the intersection of your label border (even if it is not visible) and things like that.

Gael

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Nope, midpoint doesn't work.  I also tried midpoint between 2 points and then tried to grab the two intersections however once it grabbed one, it didn't recognize the other.   =(

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
this would suggest that one create and use a Station/Offset label, as autocad commands in general do not always interact with C3D objects as one might expect...a side effect is that should the object be in the wrong place you could then move it...use the 'SO transparent command to good effect...
that and should the associated alignment update, so would the label (it could be set to a non printing style)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 02:10:57 AM »
Use the Insertion object snap to snap to the station tick's. This has been an issue for as long as I've used C3D.

Gael

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
Insertion point works!!!!!  :lol:

Since I work in a bridge office.....I spend most of my time drafting details.  Only occasionally do I actually do something that would need C3D or LDD.  Because of this, I normally don't open up the full package.  I will use "Autocad as C3D".  I figure why open more program that may have more errors than what I will need.  So occasionally I need to measure something along the alignment.  If I am going to do it alot, I will open C3D, but if it is a quick check usually I don't bother.  Now that I know I can use Insertion point and not intersection, I can relax a bit and not say nasty things to my computer and grumble at my cad managers.....

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  :-)