Author Topic: Transition Lane  (Read 2920 times)

Vanslayer

Transition Lane
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
I have a simple 2 lane rural corridor with two intersections. At one T-Intersection, I must develop a left-turn slip and slip around lane. I have created a new alignment (edge of pavement) for the basic transition subassembly to follow but it is not following anything. I get errors like parameter and target object not found. I also need the extended shoulder and daylight criteria to follow accordingly. I seem to be stuck, any help would be appreciated. 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Transition Lane
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
I have a simple 2 lane rural corridor with two intersections. At one T-Intersection, I must develop a left-turn slip and slip around lane. I have created a new alignment (edge of pavement) for the basic transition subassembly to follow but it is not following anything. I get errors like parameter and target object not found. I also need the extended shoulder and daylight criteria to follow accordingly. I seem to be stuck, any help would be appreciated. 

Look in the corridor properties and assign your transition alignments  profiles in the Targets to those objects.

You will be doing yourself a HUGE favor when you build your Assembly IF you actually include the name of the alignment and profile that sub assembly should target when you build the corridor. (Hint Rename all sub assemblies in your assembly to tell you what to target, it makes life so much easier. And then you are also less likely to forget to assign the targets after going to the effort to rename those components.)

Also be sure that you set the Transition parameters for the sub assembly from sub assembly Help:

Transition
 Describes how the subassembly behaves when an alignment, profile, or both are used as target parameters. Choices are provided in a list including:

Hold offset and elevation

Hold elevation, change offset

Hold grade, change offset

Hold offset, change elevation

Change offset and elevation  or will not follow your targets even IF you assign them properly

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Vanslayer

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »
THANKS!!!!!!!!! Wow, on the first try it worked. My parameters weren't set properly and a I didn't target my proposed vertical alignment.

Question:

1: If I change the curve/tangent data on the proposed vertical alignment, will everything change (including x-sections)? Is everything completely linked?

2. How do I bring the two side streets into the model?

A million thanks

Vanslayer

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
THANKS!!!!!!!!! Wow, on the first try it worked. My parameters weren't set properly and a I didn't target my proposed vertical alignment.

Question:

1: If I change the curve/tangent data on the proposed vertical alignment, will everything change (including x-sections)? Is everything completely linked?

2. How do I bring the two side streets into the model?

A million thanks

Vanslayer

Yes to question 1

Where did you model the side streets?

I suggest you add their baselines and regions in the Main road corridor model so that the entire corridor is one big hairy animal.

And a training session for your company will cost you far less than a million.  :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Vanslayer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
We're not that progressive, believe me :oops: Thanks for the patience. I think I only have one more question (maybe two). On a basicsideslopecutditch how do I force the ditch to a minimum depth beyond the daylight link. I.E. the ditch foreslop stops at EG rather than forcing the 3:1 .5 min depth ditch and stopping where the backslope meets EG?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:56:26 PM »
We're not that progressive, believe me :oops: Thanks for the patience. I think I only have one more question (maybe two). On a basicsideslopecutditch how do I force the ditch to a minimum depth beyond the daylight link. I.E. the ditch foreslop stops at EG rather than forcing the 3:1 .5 min depth ditch and stopping where the backslope meets EG?

For that one you will want to study the help file for that sub assembly very, very, very carefully.

If you are trying to "force it" you might find that THAT is not the tool you want to use.....

I understand about the lack of progressiveness; however be forwarned you will waste a lot of time and profits my class could have you saving with C3D.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »
I understand about the lack of progressiveness; however be forwarned you will waste a lot of time and profits my class could have you saving with C3D.

It's too bad the big-wigs don't see it that way.  They figure, "Well, if you were using Land Desktop you should be able to 'figure out' Civil 3D... They're both AutoCAD!"

Oy!
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Vanslayer

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »
No luck mj, can't find a subassembly that works. thanks anyways.

Vanslayer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:22:50 PM »
GOT IT!!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »

It's too bad the big-wigs don't see it that way.  They figure, "Well, if you were using Land Desktop you should be able to 'figure out' Civil 3D... They're both AutoCAD!"

Oy!

That would be when you let them talk to me; just like the owner I met with last night.
Wherein I have a very frank and earnest conversation with them <the kind you can't have and keep your job>
about the true cost and implementation involved with C3D. If they still don't get it; then I can not help them, or their company.
Or they can talk to some of my clients who have had success after the training, and perhaps that might change their mind in the right direction.

However luckily for those individuals the owner DID come around and they will be getting their training ASAP.
(And I get to come visit Hawaii again)

The sad part is these folks spent good money 2 years ago with an autodesk trainer I will not name; and they can not use the software. Because the training told them during training that they should not use the product.  :ugly:
So they wasted both time and money.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell