Author Topic: Is there such a thing as Precision setting in AutoCAD?  (Read 7544 times)

craigr

Is there such a thing as Precision setting in AutoCAD?
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:24 AM »
I have a bldg. with several floors on several drawings. I created vertical 'layout' lines that I copy / pasted at 0,0 into each dwg.

When I got to the last of 6 drawings two of the four layout lines were off an inch or less on the z axis. - They were no longer on my 6" snap.

Is there a setting that adjusts the precision of a drawing?

craigr

ChrisCarlson

Re: Is there such a thing as Precision setting in AutoCAD?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
Are you referring to the "units" dialog?

craigr

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:16:22 AM »
To be honest, I don't know WHAT I am referring to, other than the lines not being on 'snap' that I had copy / pasted from another dwg.

danallen

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
could you have had a running osnap that grabbed something near the origin when you pasted?

also when I setup vertical layout lines (building grid lines), I use a common file and xref into each plan.

unless your drawing is very far away from 0,0 - I've never had autocad precision to be an issue

I have a bldg. with several floors on several drawings. I created vertical 'layout' lines that I copy / pasted at 0,0 into each dwg.

When I got to the last of 6 drawings two of the four layout lines were off an inch or less on the z axis. - They were no longer on my 6" snap.

Is there a setting that adjusts the precision of a drawing?

craigr

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 09:41:40 AM »
when using the copy/paste mechanism, I'll use the COPYBASE command to control the base point of insertion.  that seems to be the most 'precise' method
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

craigr

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
Yes, that is what I do. I have a couple of macros set up that way.

Also, I use pasteblock so that  I can move around the pasted item if I 'need' to.

Obviously, this original issue isn't a HUGE deal, it just surprises me that it would happen.

I tend to be obsessive about accuracy, especially if it is something that I have created. I just guessed that CAD would have a variable of some kind that adjusted this.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:27 AM »
I use this simple snippet daily:

Code: [Select]
(defun c:cb (/ ss)
  (if (setq ss (ssget))
    (progn (command "_.copybase" '(0 0 0) ss "")
   (princ (strcat "\n" (itoa (sslength ss)) " items copied to clip board..."))
    )
  )
  (princ)
)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
Unfortunately, LT doesn't use Lisps.

- This VERY MUCH frustrates me!!!  I could do soooo much if only I could use Lisps.  My supervisors doesn't understand this and unfortunately, they aren't willing to listen how I could save money with the full version. They simply look at the initial cost.

I would LOVE to learn it, IF I had the full version or LT would suddenly be able to use it.

There are a few things that I have been told can't be done without Lisps that by 'going the long way around the barn', I was able to write macros to do it. - But, I must also give credit to some of the folks on here for helping me with these. - This place is a FABULOUS group of people that are soooo much help. They have taught me an awful lot about CAD.

craigr
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:55:00 AM by craigr »

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »

- This VERY MUCH frustrates me!!!  I could do soooo much if only I could use Lisps.  My supervisors doesn't understand this and unfortunately, they aren't willing to listen how I could save money with the full version. They simply look at the initial cost.

I would LOVE to learn it, IF I had the full version or LT would suddenly be able to use it.

There are a few things that I have been told can't be done without Lisps that by 'going the long way around the barn', I was able to write macros to do it. - But, I must also give credit to some of the folks on here for helping me with these. - This place is a FABULOUS group of people that are soooo much help. They have taught me an awful lot about CAD.

craigr

I feel for you. I can't imagine drafting without code.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Bethrine

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
- But, I must also give credit to some of the folks on here for helping me with these. - This place is a FABULOUS group of people that are soooo much help. They have taught me an awful lot about CAD.

craigr

Here, here!

craigr

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
This is getting off topic, but, One more from me......

I belong to several of these type of Online discussion forums for various topics.

By FAR, this one tops the rest as far as friendliness and willingness to help each other. I have NEVER heard any degrading comments to others. This is NOT the case with the Autodesk forum. Which is why I have totally given up on the Autodesk forum.

I hope this forum remains for a long time. Though it wasn't asked for, I have already sent my support to help with expenses. (though it HAS been awhile).

craigr

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »

It might be worth your while then to explore either Ares Commander or BricsCAD.  substantially less cost than the full Acad (comparable or less than LT) and both support AutoLISP.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

RC

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »
ORTHO (not on) and direct distance entry are biggest culprits for 'drifting' off location.  I keep my lunits set to 3 and luprec set to 8 so any ID or distance will reveal an initial 'creep' error and I can rectify it before it becomes an issue. 

Some people think setting their luprec (linear unit precision to a low number keeps them accurate when what it really does is just hide the inaccuracy until it is greater than the precision displayed.

craigr

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
I did a search in the Help file, but skimmed several of the topics that came up and found nothing that looked like what I am after.

I believe those Variables you mentioned are just what I am looking for! And, 'drift' seems like the exact description of what has happened.

My 'LUNITS' is set at 2 and my 'LUPREC' is set at 4.

I'm guessing that these are the default settings as I believe that I have never heard of them before.

Are they drawing specific or once set, do they stay that value until manually changed?

Thanks

danallen

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »
To copy / paste between drawings and not have an accidental snap to existing object, I would typically do a copy with base point, select the origin, then paste into new drawing again selecting the origin. To avoid snaps being a problem, when asked for origin point type:

non

the "non" is a running override to turn OFF all snaps. The *0,0,0 is to always use WORLD origin, not a potential local UCS origin.

To speed this up, I modified acad right-click menus to have this code, with the "&0" creates a hot-key to type 0 and get the menu option. I think you can modify menus in LT. (This is not lisp, just menu syntax). I think this page explains how: http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/06/custom-right-click-shortcut-menus.html. Below is my custom menu syntax:
[&0 World Origin]non *0,0,0