Author Topic: PaperSpace: How To  (Read 5150 times)

M-dub

PaperSpace: How To
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:13:25 PM »
In my field, 99.999% of the time, all work is done in model space and it's not all that often that we need to draw anything to scale, but it definitely happens (maybe 5% - 10%).

Where can I go to find a really good tutorial, book, lesson on how to best use paper space?

There are so many parts of AutoCAD I know absolutely JACK about!  We don't even use viewports!

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
Same here...all model space...

megamike

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 02:22:01 PM »

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 02:25:48 PM »
Paperspace is quite easily adapted into your existing drafting style.

Select a layout tab and then create your viewport into modelspace.
You may want to insert your title block onto the layout tab and size it according to the paper you wish to plot. i.e. if you are plotting 24x36, make your title block the size of the printable area of your plotter for that size paper, probably close to 22.5x34.5 or something like that.
Adjust your paperspace viewport scaling(can be done easily by selecting the viewport and setting the scale on the viewport toolbar) For unusual shaped viewports, simply create a closed polygon (or circle) and convert it to a viewport. by using the "object" option in the vports command.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 02:39:25 PM »
This is an ok read.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 02:46:39 PM »
Thanks a lot, guys.  This should keep me occupied for a little while.
:)
Cheers!
Mike

hyposmurf

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 03:36:30 PM »
I used to use model space for my text,but then moved to paper space as I didnt have to worry about scaling the text.I am however begining to think pspace text may have its downsides.One of them being that if you have to go back and modify a drawing, move some objects around, you cant see where the text is in relation to the objects your moving in model space. :roll: I know weve had quite a bit of discusion on the whole p/m space thing before,but would be cool to see the results in a poll.Was going to start a new thread with a poll,but I could imagine some people thinking god not this one again  :roll: .Perhaps you could add one M-dub as this thread is related.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »
I could...but I'll have to read some of this literature first.  I'm beginning to think that Pspace isn't for us....based solely on the pros and cons.  Training would be a big issue...I'd have to justify it.  I'll likely finish the reading tonight.

(I don't really know what the questions should be in a poll...Which do you like better?)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 04:56:47 PM »
Did somebody send him some crayons to go with the tutorials?? Ya'll gotta remember who we are dealing with here. Nothing too advanced for him. Preferably tutorials made up entirely of one sylable words. Otherwis he tries to transition into French. Eh ?

Kate M

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 05:01:20 PM »
Here's a pretty good article from Cadalyst.

Part 1
Part 2

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 05:19:16 PM »
Well...read up....you have some work ahead of you.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

hyposmurf

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 05:34:45 PM »
and just when you thought you were finished & managed to stay awake here's some more.Two of Kates link are also shown on that webpage

PDJ

Re: PaperSpace: How To
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 06:06:23 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
In my field, 99.999% of the time, all work is done in model space and it's not all that often that we need to draw anything to scale, but it definitely happens (maybe 5% - 10%).

If 99.999% of the time you're in model space, how do you end up in paperspace for 5-10% of the time??  Paperspace is easier to understand than  your math..   If you managed your time down to .001%, I think that comes out to like .12 minutes a year..  

:lol:

M-dub

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 07:45:35 AM »
I was referring to how often I am required to draw to scale.  Most of our stuff is NTS.  I guess I worded it wrong.

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 08:04:23 AM »
I'm beginning to think that Pspace isn't for us....based solely on the pros and cons.
Why not list those for us, if for no other reason than to give us something to shoot at.

Training would be a big issue...I'd have to justify it.  
If they can learn to zoom, they can learn PS.

(I don't really know what the questions should be in a poll...Which do you like better?)
Rather than a true poll, maybe a thread that just lists pros and cons.